Stalk me elsewhere

Monday, December 3, 2012

Dinosaurs and Cherry Stems


Hello, Fire Enthusiasts. I haven’t been writing of late. Do you know how you can tell? Because I have been reading so much. Believe me, if you see the same book cover on my Goodreads badge for weeks, chances are that it’s because I’m writing again. In any event, I have been reading a lot lately, and I’d like to share one of those books with you now.


I just finished reading a delightful book by my good friend author Susan Ricci. It’s not horror or a thriller of any kind. What it is, however, is genuine, sweet, funny, tender… and real. It is called, Dinosaurs & Cherry Stems. Here’s the synopsis: Twice divorced, cynical Cindy Layton feels like a relic with prehistoric baggage, and doubts she can muster the courage to establish a new relationship, even if it's on her own terms. Her journey out of the Stone Age hits freaky, hilarious turbulence when she joins an Internet dating service. The scammers and weirdoes she meets in cyberspace make Cindy want to crawl back into her cave, until she receives an accidental email from Jay DeMatteo. Jay has the dating blues, too, but after meeting Cindy, reconsiders his options. Now it's up to him to convince her it's never too late to pursue a meaningful relationship, even when a couple is struggling with midlife adolescence.

I’ve mentioned previously that I watch romantic comedies and like to take a hard left turn from my horror reading on occasion for something different. It keeps everything fresh that way, I guess. In any event, I just read Susan’s book and am so glad I did.

Sometimes we read something and can tell that the author really didn’t own the material. They researched and did their best, but they really haven’t lived it. If Susan didn’t live every single moment of this storyline, than we must consider her a master because I could find no flaws. It kept my attention throughout, driving me to turn those pages with a perfect narration that never once caused me to trip over a word or phrase. I laughed aloud a few times and even found myself tearing up at one point. I was sitting at my desk at work, too, and I hate that. *laughs* The last thing I need is for my employees to come into my office and see me dabbing at leaking eyes. But that shows the wonderful job that Ricci did with this novel.

I would also like to take a moment and congratulate the author and her team on producing an exceptional novel. I read a lot of Indie stuff these days and typically find one or two errors in editing or formatting, but not so here. God knows I still find stuff in my own writing, sadly. I found Dinosaurs to be an exceptionally produced and professional job – and I would be remiss if I didn’t give Team Ricci their props for a job well done.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I am pushing forty-four years old in 2013 that made me love this story. Now, I married my second girlfriend, didn’t date much, and have never been divorced or separated. The only thing I really had in common with the characters is my age, and desire to be loved and to love another. In spite of all of that; however, I found myself completely engrossed with the characters and the story, finding myself right there with them.

What does that tell us? It tells us that this author did a brilliant job. If you find yourself tired of the supernatural, the science fiction, the formula-driven serial killer and monster stories, do yourself a favor and pick this up. I'm so glad I did. You can find it on Amazon here.
Of course I'm going back to my serial killer and monster stories now. *grins*
We'll talk soon.  

5 comments:

  1. What an interesting book, must check it out x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triple hugs from Susan Ricci!

    Jimmy: I'm thrilled and honored you took time away from your own work and marketing to read Dinosaurs, and then to post such a favorable blog review! Completely overwhelming for me! Posting as anonymous because I wanted to get started on your links asap, and forgot my WordPress password--guess I left it in Mexico! Anyway, words can't express my gratitude

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I have a few friends I should give this to--I know they have had a similar experience with online dating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also a fan of romantic comedies when it comes to cinema. Don't think I've ever read a novel that fell under that genre, but I'll put it on my list as possibly my first.

    And yeah, I'm "reading a lot," too, these days :)

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jimmy! What a fab review! I love stories like this where you just get absorbed into the characters --to the point where you can tear up. Always amazes me when a book can do that.
    Thanks for the recommendation! And thanks for stopping by my blog with warm wishes. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate you taking the time. I'll get back to you here or on one of the other social networks. It's not like we're not on all of them, right? ;) Also, if you're here to give me an award - bless you. However, your friendship and visits are more than enough. Thanks and blessings.