Stalk me elsewhere

Monday, January 24, 2011

Favorite Songs of All-Time Blogfest

Hello, Fire Enthusiasts. For those of you who know me well, you are keenly aware of the fact that I must have music surrounding me at all times. If you worked with me, you would see what appeared to be me talking to myself, but I assure you that it is me singing. No one needs to call Bellevue for a pick up. I’m good.
Today’s blogfest is being hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh over at his blog.

The idea was to have a bunch of people sharing their favorite all-time 10 songs. Knowing me the way you do, it probably doesn't surprise you that my original list had 34 songs. It wasn't easy, but it was a heck of a lot of fun compiling.

I had bands in my head like Pink Floyd; however, one doesn’t really listen to only one of their songs, but entire albums. Dark Side of the Moon needs to be played front to back, am I right? I then felt bad that I was skipping songs by Van Halen or “All Right Now”, by Free. How could I skip over some of the hair metal bands that I grew up with from the Eighties? What happened to Whitesnake, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, and Judas Priest. I cut my teeth, as it were, with Kiss. How could I leave off “Rock N Roll all Nite” or Shout it Out Loud” or “Lick it Up” even? Do you know how many times I have listened to those songs over the years?

Finally, I came to the conclusion that I should not try and record the best 10 songs ever, but rather the 10 that mean the most to me. The 10 that I could not possibly do without on that fabled deserted island. After much consideration, I realized that what I really needed to list were the 10 songs that would make me drive around the block in order to hear the entire song; the 10 that make me stop what I’m doing and crank the volume.

With that thought finally in mind, here are the 10 tunes that rock my world. Prepare yourself, I have eclectic tastes:

"Don’t Look Back” by Boston. It was a sad day indeed when Brad Delp took his own life in 2007. There are not too many bands that sound like Boston. The debut album is one of the best debuts by anyone: however, if one song summed up what made that band work it is this one off the second album. It has power, a great vocal and a hook that stays with you for the day.

“Born to Run” by Bruce Springsteen. Folks, I don’t even really care for The Boss all that much. I do own the big 1975-85 live three-disc set; however, when this one song comes on, I stop in my tracks. There’s simply something about this tune that makes me want to sing along. I do a mean imitation, but you’ll have to buy me a drink if you want to hear it.

“Heaven and Hell” by Black Sabbath. I’m a big Ozzy fan. I also own much of the late Ronnie James Dio’s solo albums; however, there’s something about the haunting vocals and Tony Iommi’s rhythm guitar work in that first verse that makes me want to pause and journey with them.

“You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC. Come on. Do I really need to say anything with this tune? The lights don't go down at a concert until this song is done. They even play it at dances!

“Mercy, Mercy Me (The Ecology)" by Marvin Gaye. I had no idea until I took a chance and bought this album well into my 30's, and now I know that no collection is complete without What's Going On?. It is haunting, honest, beautiful, tranquil and, of course, hopeful.

“Kickstart My Heart" by Motley Crue. When I'm in a poor mood or feeling tired, I just cue this bad-boy and run it over!

“Closer to the Edge” by 30 Seconds to Mars. If one wonders how a song that is merely months old could end up on this list, I agree with you. However, if you don't know this band, you should. The album before had some great tunes on it, but This Is War kicks all ass. After this song plays once, you will not get it out of your head.

“Limelight” by Rush. Talk about stopping you in your tracks! When Alex Lifeson begins this classic from Moving Pictures with that riff, I stop what I'm doing, end the conversation and jack up the volume. It took a long time before I realized how fantastic this band was. Every bass player wants to master "YYZ",and when Rush plays, all I do is stop and watch Neil Peart. Best drummer ever, hands down

"You're My Best Friend" by Queen. My wife and I are huge Queen fans and I was pretty devastated when we had one day to soak in the fact that Freddie had AIDS, only to be greeted by the news that he was dead the next day. This song played on one of our first dates together and became our song.


"Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin. Sorry, folks. This list only ever was about the other nine songs. I came to this party late. Although I was born in '69, I didn't discover what the world already knew until I saw the three remaining members of the Mighty Zep on MTV during Live Aid. I know Jimmy isn't happy with the play from that fateful day, but the next day I was ordering the fourth album. Once I heard that record, with this landmark cut closing the door, I was never the same. Starting slow and building to a magnificent crescendo, this is the the greatest rock song ever.

Well, what did I miss? I listen to almost everything. Where do we disagree? I look forward to checking out everybody's lists. I just know I am going to hate myself later for having forgotten something.

We'll talk soon.

61 comments:

  1. Some awesome choices, especially Bruce Springsteen. Thanks for sharing!

    My Top Ten Songs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ellie. I had a lot of fun putting this together. Can't wait to get home and check out what others did.
    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  3. "A Man He'll Always Be"
    Tommy DeCarlo's Tribute To Brad Delp


    A few days after hearing about the death of Brad Delp, "the nicest guy in rock and roll", Tommy sat down at his piano and began to play, "A Man I'll Never Be", during which he found himself reminiscing about the man, the music and many years of joy that BOSTON music had given him. The combination of Tom Scholz music, and Brad's soaring vocals made him a fan instantaneously; he was hooked!
    So...as any songwriter would do Tommy decided to write a song, a song about the man who inspired him to sing. Some of you may have heard Tommy's original composition, which at the time consisted of a simple piano, and vocal track. However, shortly after performing on stage with BOSTON at the Come Together concert for Brad Delp Tommy was contacted by another BOSTON fan by the name of Chris Capozza. Chris came to see the concert for Brad and, after hearing Tommy sing for the first time, was moved to contact him. They started an email dialog, eventually became friends and later talked about hopefully working together on music someday. It wasn't until after the BOSTON 2008 summer tour that their schedules finally allowed them the chance to get to work on developing "A Man He'll Always Be" into the full tribute it is now. Chris helped expand Tommy's original version of the song in a way Tommy could never have imagined and he couldn't be more thankful or proud of Chris's efforts.
    "A Man He'll Always Be" is Tommy's tribute to Brad Delp.
    BUY IT NOW for $1.29
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/tommydecarlo2

    ###

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great selection of music
    thanks for the melody's,
    jeremy
    [iZombie]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Anonymous. I will definitely look that song up. Suicide Solution has special meaning for Bon Scott fans, as does the song for Randy Rhoads on the Quiet Riot "Metal Health cd.
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, iZombie. I'm looking forward to hearing some great new tunes today.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're right. It's best to choose the songs that mean the most to us. I didn't know that about Freddie from Queen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's hear it for metalheads! And anyone who selects a Rush song is cool in my book. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always find something you forgotten in other peoples lists. I have Stairway to Heaven on top, so we agree on that >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boston and The Boss, memories... It was a tragedy about Freddie such a great loss to the music world.
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot a ton - I know the feeling. This is a great list! "You Shook Me..." was on my list, until I replaced it with Nothing Else Matters. Yeah, kinda different songs altogether, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Born to Run, My Best Friend, Closer to the Edge... ALL AMAZING SONGS!!! Excellent picks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! I think you picked a good approach also. I also picked Stairway to Heaven. If you are interested in a little story about that song. Check out the link on my list...
    Patrick Tillett, Extremely Overdue

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Clarissa. All these years later, it's still sad about Freddie. At least we have all of the great songs.
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  15. No, Alex. Thank you! This has been so much fun participating in. I love the tunes, and have gotten to meet some very cool new people. I'm not the biggest Rush fan in the world - I think it's you - but when I hear their songs, I always wonder why I am not.
    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many well loved songs on your list. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool name, Cold as Heaven. Someone once told me that "Freebird" was better than "Stairway...". They still haven't found the body!! Just kidding.
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jules, memories is right! I really can't wait to get off of work to check out everybody's lists.
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  19. Tara, thanks! Some tunes get old after decades, but "Shook me..." never seems to! I also wanted to include "For Those About to Rock" and "Highway to Hell". Perhaps next time.
    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, Erinn. You would not believe how long I agonized over this list! Lol!
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Pat. I'll check that link when I get home from work today.
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, M Pax. It's good to meet you and everyone else today. What a cool blogfest this has been!
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so right about Closer to the Edge. I heard it about a month ago and it's been haunting me ever since. Great picks! I love all of them. Too much fantastic music out there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Hannah. I thought I couldn't get "From Yesterday" out of my head. Little did I know. Those guys are great, and the new cd rocks hard.
    Thanks.
    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Don't know them all but I love Mercy Mercy Me and Limelight.

    ReplyDelete
  26. awesome list. What, no freebird!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Bud, Wendy, thanks for stopping by. This has been great, getting to know knew people and talking music. A few more hours and I will finally get a chance to check out your lists! See you then.
    Lol! And no Freebird!
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  28. Rush is just plain awesome -- I love how their songs have a beginning, middle, and end -- even the bass plays a large part! If I ever learn to play the bass guitar like I dream of, I'll be playing Rush songs!

    Naming top 10 songs is tough indeed -- I don't know that I could do it. This Corrosion by Sisters of Mercy is on my all-time list, as well as She Sells Sanctuary by The Cult.

    Thanks Jimmy -- enjoyed today's post!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i love the way you chose your songs and your passion to listen to the whole album! too bad i don't know any of these!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Some awesome classics here! Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for stopping by, Nikki. I love the Cult, too; however, I'm more of a "Love Removal Machine" guy. I will check out this other group of yours.
    Talk to you later,
    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Aspiring X, there's still time. I'm always on the lookout for new stuff. If you've got varying tastes, I'd love to hear about it.
    Thanks,
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great songs here! "You're My Best Friend" is one of my and my hubby's favorites too! We've been friends since we were 7, so we made sure the DJ played it at our wedding. :)

    My all-time favorite song is "Pure Shores" by All Saints. But I have a very eclectic taste in music. I like all kinds!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Excellent list!! The Hubster and I danced to "You're My Best Friend" at the wedding, though it wasn't 'our' song. I still insisted. It's one of my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love Born to Run - that was a great shout! I know all the tracks on your list - am I worried? - nah! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lydia K. - Thanks for stopping by, and for the follow.

    Laura - I will check out this All Saints tune of yours. Thanks for the tip. I knew there had to be a Queen song on my list. I went back and forth a bit, but ultimately decided on staying with one of my favs.

    Jennie - Very cool! We've had this song mentioned a few times today. Looks like I did okay choosing it, huh?

    Elaine AM Smith - Lol! No worries! Music is ageless... ;)

    Thanks to everyone who stopped by. It has been wonderful meeting everyone today.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  37. Some fine choices on your list. "What's Going On" is one of the top 10 albums ever in my book.

    Lee
    Make sure you check my Wednesday post!
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi, Arlee. Thanks. Really, I had no idea how good that album was. I get a kick hearing about Motown not wanting to release it, but the other artists like Smokey Robinson begging Gordy because all the other artists knew it was brilliant.
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  39. Really great list... Stairway to Heaven almost made mine.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Well, Brother, I was born ten years before you, and I can tell you without hesitation that "Stairway To Heaven" was the anthem for my generation. No question! But...

    My tastes changed over the decades.

    But if you love the way "Stairway" starts slow and builds, I invite you to go to my list, click on the title "The Truth Will Always Be" (by Pat Metheny), then close your eyes - yes, close 'em! - and listen to that 9 minute instrumental piece.

    I ain't sayin' it will replace "Stairway" for ya, but just close the eyes and open the ears. If you love "Stairway", there's no way you can fail to appreciate "The Truth Will Always Be".

    Give it a listen and then check back in with me, alright, Bro? Give me yer impressions, eh? Thanks!

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks, Stephen. I have only briefly heard anything from Metheny, but I will give this cut of yours a try. I really am always on the lookout for new stuff...even if it is only new to me.
    I will let you know,

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thanks, Alexia. I am headed over to your list to see what did make the cut! Thanks for stopping by,

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  43. Excellent classic picks and of course I love 30stm. Closer to the Edge and Hurricane are my faves on their newest album.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks, Kelly. I once took a picture with Van Halen on the Balance tour. I was on your blog and see you've got that beat!!
    30 Seconds to Mars are one of my new favorites.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  45. You've listed some absolute classics here, I love a lot of the stuff you included - as for the rest, I don't know it yet so I'm investigating :D

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thanks, Trisha. I hope we all discover some new music because of this blogfest. Getting to know new people is another plus!
    Take care and thanks for stopping by.
    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is a list of all the music I wasn't allowed to listen to growing up and then discovered in college.

    And I am totally with you on 30 Seconds to Mars.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Love all your picks! Very nice selection. :)

    Hugs,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  49. Karen, Lola, thanks so much for stopping by. I had a great time checking out some of the lists, and look forward to spending more time doing so.

    Karen - Thanks for the note on 30 Seconds. I love those guys! Great stuff!

    Lola - It's always good to talk to you. Hope you are well.

    Thanks again, ladies.

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  50. James, what a fun list! I love that you have Marvin Gaye on the same list as Stairway to Heaven. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Thank you, Julie. I'm glad you approved. Music is just so important
    to me. I'm glad the list I came up with resonated with so
    many. Take care.
    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh, I love "Kick Start My Heart." Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Ah I don't recognise all of these, but some I know my hubby would enjoy. Glad you have Queen on your list like me! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  54. LIVING ON A LIGHTED STAGE APPROACHES THE UNREAL FOR THOSE....well you can see where my train of thought has gone. Love the list. I tried so hard to get some of "the Boss" in my list but..never happened. Now if we had a list of best concerts - He would no doubt be at or near the top! Love the Boston; I played through the vinyl of the debut 3 times, I had it on so much!

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Missed Periods - Hello, my Captain! Thanks for stopping by. That's one of those tunes that really breaks me from the doldrums. If I need a new mood, I just crank that song. Love the chorus, too.

    Madeleine - If nothing else, I'm glad we share an affinity for Queen. I knew they would make the list, although there were probably about 5-6 that I thought I could use. "Princes of the Universe" was one, "I Want it all" was another. Glad to meet you.

    Trevor - I look forward to spending more time on that blog of yours. It looks like the kind of place that a crossover guy like me would feel really welcome there. Peace to you as well.

    Thanks again you guys,

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  56. Woo, that's a great list! A lot of those songs are on my player too. And you're right, a lot of the time you can't just listen to one song, you have to listen to the entire album!

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hey, Deniz. Good to meet you. Thanks for stopping by. I still have a few more on the list that I need to check out. It was a lot of fun. I love music so much, I didn't need my arm twisted behind my back to get me involved. Take care,

    -James

    ReplyDelete
  58. Oh, you've got so many more of my faves here: Springsteen, Queen, AC/DC, Rush. Ah, the memories.

    So nice to meet you, James! Thanks for visiting my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Nice to meet you, too. Thanks for taking the time to give my list a look, Liz. I'll look forward to getting to know you in the new year. I'm thinking we've got lots in common.

    Take care,
    -James

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hi James - appreciate you stopping by to check out my top 10 and to discover you have some Sara B. love! That's awesome! You've got a great list yourself. AC/DC, Queen, Motley Crue - some great choices that bring back a lot of memories from HS. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. You're welcome, Donea. Thank you for stopping by, too. Have a great week.

    -James

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate you taking the time. I'll get back to you here or on one of the other social networks. It's not like we're not on all of them, right? ;) Also, if you're here to give me an award - bless you. However, your friendship and visits are more than enough. Thanks and blessings.