Saturday, October 10, 2026

The Vampire Nathaniel

Greetings, Fire Enthusiasts.

In honor of “Spooky Season”, I thought I would share something just a little different. Although I have written three books about the events that occurred in Kingsburg, California concerning vampires (currently first drafting book four), I have never fully pulled back the curtain…until now.

I was recently visited by the vampire Nathaniel himself, and I thought I would share that experience with you. He allowed me to share those details, but not the date, for whatever reason. The link to the books is at the end, in case you’re tempted.



Nathaniel: Wake up, James.

Me: Damn, that’s cold! I hate when you do that!

Nathaniel: Yes, I know. Brother Luis doesn’t enjoy it much either. Keep your voice down unless you want your dear wife and I to finally meet. You wished to see me?

Me: Doesn’t? Since when did you start using contractions? My neck is frozen now, thanks to you.

Nathaniel: I have always used contractions. You’re the one who makes me sound like a pompous aristocrat. Becoming a vampire certainly changes you, but not into British Royalty from 1837.

Me: Fine. Point conceded. I did want to see you, but you didn’t have to come in the middle of the night!

Nathaniel: It’s just after 9 o’clock. What time would you have preferred? 3 pm?

Me: Really? I’ve only been asleep thirty minutes?

Nathaniel: Yes. I waited until you turned off that reading device.

Me: Reading device? It’s not a magical talisman. It’s just a Kindle.

Nathaniel: I’m no good with tech. That much you got right.

Me: I’ll let that go. I didn’t realize you were in town.

Nathaniel: No one does. I understand you are writing more of your…fiction.

Me: You don’t have to sound so sarcastic when you say that.

Nathaniel: Saving the entire world this time, I take it.

Me: Shh! Don’t give anything away. How do you know this, anyway?

Nathaniel: Ve ‘av our vays.

Me: Funny. Is that Luis’ influence?

Nathaniel: Leave the poor monk out of this. Once again, I’ve always been the funny one. It’s your cardboard cutout who’s boring.

Me: Ouch! Well, I’m glad you’re here.

Nathaniel: Are you?

Me: Of course.

Nathaniel: Why? Does this give you fodder for further books?

Me: Nathaniel, it’s not like that.

Nathaniel: No?

Me: No! I wrote the stories so they wouldn’t be forgotten, and to explain things.

Nathaniel: Some things are best left untold, James. There are many mysteries that have been left unsaid.

Me: Like what? Aliens? JFK? Secret societies? Vampires?

Nathaniel: Especially vampires.

Me: Don’t you think it’s good that people realize there are some good vampires in the world?

Nathaniel: There are no good vampires in the world. Surely you must realize this?

Me: Not even you?

Nathaniel: “There is none that doeth good, no, not one.” Romans 3:12.

Me: He was talking about people in that verse.

Nathaniel: We used to be people. Look how far we’ve fallen. Look, you know the stories, although with the amount of  creative license you employ…

Me: I just sprinkle in a few things for dramatic emphasis.

Nathaniel: Sprinkle! I pictured you using a painter’s trowel. According to you, I can walk on water.

Me: Oh? So I don’t have the events correctly?

Nathaniel: I didn’t come here to quibble with you about these silly books you write. We have a nice relationship, you and I. Let us not sour it with ridiculous arguments that serve no purpose. Now, did you wish to discuss something with me?

Me: I believe you’ve already answered my question.

Nathaniel: Which was what exactly?

Me: I hope you didn’t rush back from San Francisco…

Nathaniel: Please. What did you wish to know?

Me: I was curious what you thought of my books. Now I know. You clearly don’t like them.

Nathaniel: James, I am sure they are fine. Have I seen them? Yes, I have. Have I read them? A little. I believe skimmed is the operative word. I try and read the Bible only at this point. I have read a great many books in my lifetime, and have enjoyed them. What I need now more than anything, however, is the book that gives not pleasure, but life. I need this very much.

Me: I wish you well with that, Nathaniel.

Nathaniel:  Thank you. Good night, James.

Me: Good night, Nathaniel. I apologize for bothering you.

Nathaniel: It was no bother.



I haven’t seen Nathaniel since that night, although I’m fairly sure that I have felt his presence a time or two. It’s a bit unnerving, but I don’t fear him. The key is respecting him and his power. I should have the fourth installment available next year. I’m currently calling it Dance on Fire: [Redacted]. Sorry. Couldn’t help myself there. Somehow he already knows the full title that I’m currently hiding from you. When he disclosed that he already knew what it was, he stared at me for a moment before shaking his head and then asked, “Aren’t you getting rather tired of the whole fire thing.” Okay, perhaps he didn’t use the word “rather”. But it sounds so much better, right? Anyway, I went on to explain why I liked it so much, but by the time that I was done, I found that he had already gone.

If Nathaniel stops by again, I’ll be sure and let you know.

We’ll talk soon.


Nathaniel saved her from another vampire. But did she really save him?

Heaven and Hell have been at war from the beginning. Now they’re using vampires.

The Devil is alive and well, and none too pleased that one of his vampires seeks God. He’ll stop at nothing to destroy Nathaniel and anyone who stands with him, including the vampire’s extended human family. “Until the sky rolls back like a scroll, I have failed nothing,” Satan said.

The Dance on Fire series seeks to explain whether a vampire can be used for good.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate you taking the time. I'll get back to you here or on one of the other social networks. It's not like we're not on all of them, right? ;) Also, if you're here to give me an award - bless you. However, your friendship and visits are more than enough. Thanks and blessings.

The Vampire Nathaniel

Greetings, Fire Enthusiasts. In honor of “Spooky Season”, I thought I would share something just a little different. Although I have written...