Stalk me elsewhere

Monday, June 4, 2012

A Blurb and the Blur

Hello, Fire Enthusiasts. It's me. What? It's me, Jimmy! What do you mean you don't remember? You haven't heard from me? *sigh* Well, I guess that's my fault, isn't it? Allow me to explain.


First, allow me to thank many of you who have wished us well with our two graduates this graduation season. Our oldest graduates high school next Thursday. Our other son just graduated from Junior High last week. Yesterday (I'm writing this post Sunday morning), we celebrated by throwing a party for both of them. With all of that going on, I have had to ignore my trusty laptop. I think there were two days where I didn't even turn it on. I peeked in on my trusty iPhone, but that was all. In fact, my laptop is barely speaking to me at this point. *laughs* So that's where I've been hiding.


On the publishing front, we're still mired in the editing process for Dance on Fire: Flash Point. No, that doesn't mean the book is bad or anything negative like that. Instead, it's more reflective of life getting in the way on both sides of the ocean (my publisher is in England, don'tcha' know?). In any event, we should have news on that front very soon as well as some kind of schedule of events with regard to the cover release, release date and promotion.


On top of that, you haven't heard anything from me with regard to my debut, Dance on Fire, because I have asked for some changes since the discovery of some issues that I told you about back in March. Once those are completed, I will resume promoting it as much as isn't nauseating for everyone around me. Sadly, we all can name a few of the those author friends who only seem to promote themselves and to do so incessantly. Am I right? I'm not trying to be mean. Lord knows, most of us are learning as we go, making twice as many mistakes for every brilliant idea; me most of all.


While I have been awaiting my edits for Flash Point, I started writing again. I believe I mentioned something about this recently. I backed away from the vampires with this one. I have always wanted to write a haunted house story, but refused to begin one until I thought I had an idea which presented itself as being fresh and one that would not fall flat in the end, as many films and books have done, in my opinion. This is not to say that my idea will be the next big thing (I'm hoping it is, I'm just not saying it. *laughs*). I'm really only saying that until I was excited about the project, I wasn't going to start writing it.


With that in mind, this past new year, I began sitting down and writing again. Please remember, I had only been doing promoting and networking, and hadn't written anything new since Flash Point, which was written over two years ago. I started out only writing on weekends, but recently abandoned my reading schedule and began writing nearly every day. In only about 4.5 months I knocked out the first draft of a 70k word novel that is currently entitled Ghosts.


The day after I finished, I spent a few minutes penning a blurb for it. I will leave you with it. The ink is still fresh and I have yet to whip out the fine toothed comb, but here it is:




            Paul Herrera hasn’t worked, left town or done much of anything since the untimely death of his wife two years before. He suddenly finds himself bequeathed a mysterious old house near the California central coast by a deceased aunt that he never knew. The woman who showed it to him and handed him the keys is the spitting image of his dead wife, taken from him two years before in a senseless car accident which also took from him his unborn son. While he deals with the ghosts of a past that he cannot let go, there are new ghosts as dead Aunt Flora is not content with eternal sleep, but continues her unholy quest to be rejoined with her dead husband on this side of the grave.

Flora isn’t the only ghost that Paul must deal with, alone for the week in the expansive two-storey house that he will soon discover holds many secrets. Eventually, he will see that he is surrounded by ghosts, both the ethereal and those that only haunt his memories, as he struggles to hold onto the only thing that he has left in this world: his sanity.
           Ghosts is the 72,000 word novel that mixes Paranormal, Horror and Romance to come up with a story that should appeal to everyone who likes their dark genres paired with reality that we can all relate to such as the feelings of terrible heart-wrenching loss and our search for a love that might outlive us.


We'll talk soon.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats to your grads! Looking forward to your book and especially intrigued with the new ghost story. (I love anything about ghosts so I'll be sure to pick up a copy when you publish it.) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to your two graduates.
    Wishing you luck with the changes and editing. I always worry about the annoying others with promotions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photo, James, and big congrats to the Grads. The blurb sounds enticing too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to the grads & good luck with the next release! Love the concept for Ghosts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jimmy, I think it's great that you have been able to knock out a first draft--and that's a long first draft! Good for you!

    As far as promotions go, You know I'm going to have to have you on my blog as soon as that book hits Amazon, etc. You let me know, Okay?

    Nothing wrong with a little self-promotion. A number of us here will always give our comrads a spot on our blogs.

    Have a great week.(You have a great looking family!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful family, Jimmy! A lot going on in your life, but you are handling juggling thing exceptionally well. Good job on your new novel, buddy. Looking forward to getting that on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on having two graduated boys and on completing the third novel! It sounds great and I'll look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear you've taken some time off from the laptop! It sounds like you're making great progress with your writing. Congrats on your latest book, and to the new grads as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great family!Congrats on two graduates!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really cool. Have you had paranormal experiences?
    Such a beautiful family! Congrats to your grads!
    Thanks for stopping by the party!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a cool story, we need more ghost stories out there. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by this week, everyone. It's always great to have you visit. I appreciated the congratulations here and on all of the other sites for my two boys. Now that all of that stuff has come to its conclusion, I can refocus energies elsewhere...like editing that new ghost project.
    Have a great week, my friends.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate you taking the time. I'll get back to you here or on one of the other social networks. It's not like we're not on all of them, right? ;) Also, if you're here to give me an award - bless you. However, your friendship and visits are more than enough. Thanks and blessings.