Stalk me elsewhere

Monday, August 22, 2011

Star Trek Blog Fest


Hello, Star Trek Enthusiasts...

Wait! Did I just write, Star Trek? Yes, I did.

We're skipping the whole Fire Enthusiast thing for one week while we instead celebrate the phenomena that is the Star Trek Universe. This blogfest is being hosted by my good pal, Ellie Garratt. Many of you probably already know her, but if you don't, you really should introduce yourself. If you have stumbled here and would like to see more Star Trek thoughts, please surf over and check out the other entries at Ellie's blog.

Now, I must tell you that I am not the biggest Trekkie in the world. Not by a long shot. I grew up watching the original television show with my dad. When the original crew reunited to begin doing films, I came along for the ride; however, that was about all. I never got into the Next Generation or any of the other shows. I did watch the big reboot by J.J. Abrams and liked it.

In any event, here is an eclectic look at Star Trek through my eyes in no particular order:

(1) I was born March 22, 1969. This was William Shatner's 38th Birthday. He has been many things and has gone by many names: he was Bob Wilson, terrorized by a gremlin on a plane in the Twilight Zone episode, Nightmare at 20,000 Feet; he was T.J. Hooker in the 80's; he has been Denny Crane in the television show, The Practice; and although he later became Admiral, he will really only ever be Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise.


(2) In one of the saddest moments, the Enterprise is destroyed in Star Trek 3. With our heroes safely away, the ship is put through its self-destruct paces in order to take out Klingons and swing the advantage back into Kirk's court. I do love Christopher Lloyd's reaction as he realizes that his men are about to be killed. You can watch the scene here:


(3) Now, my wife didn't think this would be a very good idea to post this next one, so I hope everyone takes this in the fun spirit that it is given. I just watched it for the first time in a long while and I think it is hysterical. If you have never seen the skit William Shatner did on SNL, you really much check it out:

William Shatner SNL skit Get A Life 1986-12-20 by efly2020


(4) Once again, I don't know each and every villain in the Trek Universe; however, not only is Ricardo Montalban's Khan a great Star Trek Villain, he may very well be one of the great movie villains of all time. I loved his timing and his facial expressions, and he had some great lines to deliver:

"Surely, I have made my meaning plain. I mean to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I deprived your ship of power, and when I swing around, I mean to deprive you of your life."

"I've done far worse than kill you, Admiral. I've hurt you. And I wish to go on hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her; marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet... buried alive! Buried alive...!"

"[quoting from Melville's Moby Dick] To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"


(5) And if you haven't guessed yet, Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is my all-time favorite in the series. I can watch it over and over again. There should even be a 24-hour channel or, if nothing else, a one day a year event where they loop it. Okay, perhaps I'm going a bit overboard, but I think the film had everything. Great action and dialogue. Good drama. And not campy at all. I think it has also aged very well, thankfully. So I will leave you with the poster.


My thanks to all who pay me a visit. I look forward to checking out your thoughts as well.

I usually end posts with "We'll talk soon", but obviously this week I must close with the following...

Live long and prosper.


31 comments:

  1. You are twinned with Mr Shatner?!?! You are so destined for greater fabulous-er things! Truly!

    Khan. Khan is the Man!

    Great choices, happy Star Trekking! take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khan was always the best villain. I had that poster, also wore out the VCR tape. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Khan was a great villan. I watched that movie so many times I'm sorta burnt out on it. He had great pecs too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kahn is one of my fav movies, too. I wish I could get a copy of the old Mad Magazine that parodied Classic Star Trek. It was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Wrath of Khan was always my favorite Trek movie until the recent reboot. I think Adams & Co. did a great job of paying homage to the original series, and I look forward to what the new film franchise has to offer in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen that SNL skit :)! Loved The Wrath of Khan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were born on the same day as Shatner!

    Wowser! Now I'm going to start looking for other similarities. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. brilliant... trek moments... snl classic!

    jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never tire of watching the SNL skit, and I'm so pleased you reminded me of it!

    Fabulous choices. Khan rocks as a baddie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, man! I am a fan of neither Star Trek or Saturday Night Live, but I thought that skit was BY FAR the funniest thing that SNL ever did!

    I'd only seen it once before, but over the years I have often made reference to it - pretty much anytime someone has mentioned Star Trek. It's even funnier than I had remembered.

    And I'll add that I've always thought William Shatner was one of TV's worst actors, but in that skit, he was TOTALLY BELIEVABLE! Ha!

    Thanks for posting that, James! I was literally laughing out loud.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all of the comments. After I get out of work here in a few hours, I will be able to check out all of the other entries. Hello to all of the new visitors and followers. Glad to meet you.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was epicly sad when the Enterprise went down. Made me all teary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are alike in that I caught the Trek fever from my dad, but I sunk my talons and teeth into NG and Voyager and DS9! :)

    I still can't get out of my head that Khan stars in Fantasy Island, though! :P

    ♥.•*¨Elizabeth¨*•.♥
    Can Alex save Winter from the darkness that hunts her?
    YA Paranormal Romance, Darkspell coming fall of 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, oh! My ex-wife is a fan. "Guess where that leaves me?" says Blaze as he ducks the flying tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The SNL skit with Shatner is hilarious. I've seen it before and loved it. And if you've ever been to a StarCon you know just who he is talking to. Great post! Live long...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Khan was just great. I wish I would have thought to add him to my list. Great picks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the SNL clip. I'd heard about it, but never seen it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wrath of Khan is at the top of nearly everyone's list.
    I'd forgotten about ST III when the Enterprise was destroyed. Thanks for the video. Very cool indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Some great choices there. Wrath of Khan was great but I probably liked the comedy of Voyage Home more. And the TNG films, Oh, I could go on!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah I'm glad we've convinced you to watch the new series too. I can see that despite your protestations you are a closet Trekkie and to have been born on the same day as James T, well, it speaks for itself. Great post, enjoyed the clips :O)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was so offended by that video! I can't believe you would ruin the blog fest by posting it... wow... ;)

    Just messing.

    Actually, while I do enjoy a good sci-fi show, I know people that really go to far with it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If you were to ever read Walter Koenig's autobiography, Warped Factors, you'll discover what a humble actor Ricardo Montalban was. Especially when compared to a certain actor whose birthday you share.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for all the visits, you guys. It was great meeting all of the new people, as always. For all of you long-time friends of this blog - you knew I loved you all already. It was cool spending time at all of your blogs and saying hello.
    Take care.

    -Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for warping around the Federation and sharing your list with us. I love so much about that part of "The Search for Spock", from the triple confirmation codes to self-destruct, Chekhov covering for Spock as acting Science Officer, to the crew watching the huge shooting star from the surface of the Genesis planet and knowing that it's their beloved ship, home for so many years.

    And the poor Klingons. "Captain, the computer appears to be running the ship. It is the only thing speaking." "Speaking? Let me hear it..."

    If you get a chance, check out a fellow writer's zombie story and help me make him wear an embarrassing shirt next year! It's the ultimate grudge match between social media and the zombies. Details are here:
    http://kelworthfiles.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/prove-the-zombies-wrong-social-platforms-can-build-readership/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hate to admit this, but I have never seen even one episode of Star Trek. Can we still be friends?

    ReplyDelete
  26. So, I have to admit I've never, ever, ever watched a single episode of Star Trek. Am I allowed back? Will I be banned forever?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Here here to Wrath of Khan! he is an all time awesome villain. I've been jonesing to watch it ever since thus blogfest started.
    Sorry I'm so late stopping by for it. And the SNL skit is hilarious. So true! But being a geek is so much fun too. I've been to conventions and they're fun but it does make you wonder about these peeps who know every last deet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the skit, not a big Trekie, but there's a few in my house.
    Wagging Tales - Blog for Writers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate you taking the time. I'll get back to you here or on one of the other social networks. It's not like we're not on all of them, right? ;) Also, if you're here to give me an award - bless you. However, your friendship and visits are more than enough. Thanks and blessings.